To summarize an amazing year of teaching and learning and to look forward to the year ahead here are my predictions for technology in schools for 2019:
- Computational Thinking (coding) will be the biggest focus in my school in 2019 as we look to develop our own K-12 Computational Thinking Scope and Sequence/Framework that suits the context of our school while being useful for other schools and educators to utilize globally. While coding programs continue to evolve, most schools only do lip service to coding through Hour of Code experiences or ‘one-and-done’ type activities, none of which are integrated into learning experiences OR add value to student learning in any deep and meaningful way. It is my intention to lead the drive for this in my school in the first 6 months of 2019. As we delve deeper into this I believe that coding will become a new literacy and we will see a rise in using coding tools, platforms, and languages to add value and to support teaching and learning on a daily basis.
- Augmented Reality (AR), Virtual Reality (VR) and Mixed Reality (MR), will continue to weave its way into the education sector, allowing students to connect and learn in a variety of different ways with material never before accessible at a lower cost or even FREE. Immersive educational environments are already being used to provide learners with a life-like experience in all curriculum areas across the globe. The ability to know, understand and create their own AR/VR/MR experiences will greatly improve their employability in future years.
- Smart Spaces – Educators are investigating connected classrooms and modern learning environments as the latest innovation in teaching, and Gartner analysts suggest that smart spaces will be a major focus for 2019. Combined with other emerging technologies such as AI, the future of the connected classroom is guaranteed. What innovative spaces do you have that could inspire others and what are your plans for developing the classroom of the future today? Please share here and on Twitter by tagging me @mrkempnz
- Artificial Intelligence (AI) and Machine Learning are starting to be seen in many industries and in 2019 we will see the uptake of this in the Education sector. AI and machine learning will transform how we learn, and manage to learn over the next 5 years. AI will also help personalize learning and change the day-to-day learning experience for students all around the world. Analysts expect machine learning to play an important role in 2019, offering support for tasks that may require more time, energy and training than teachers and administrators have at their disposal.
- MakerSpaces and the Maker Culture has taken off in 2018 and this will continue to be a trend, however, I believe that the trend will continue in 2019 with more and more schools realizing the importance of getting their students to engage in learning through hands-on experiences just like we have established at my school. I am on the journey of supporting schools globally to embrace the maker and innovation culture. Let me know how I can support your school in the same journey, no matter where you are, big or small, I have ideas and solutions to support you. With the STEM/STEAM movement in full swing, the need for students to make and create to show their learning is more critical. This has already started to get traction by many governments and organizations across the world.
- Device Mesh refers to an expanding set of endpoints people use to access applications and information or interact with people, social communities, governments, and businesses. Device mesh includes all devices we use on a daily basis, including wearable technology. As students in our classrooms have access to a greater array of devices at school and in their homes, we are looking for ways to mesh learning across all tools, devices, and experiences with the help of cloud technology. Data accessibility and security is critical in achieving this success. Seamless user experience is fundamental to this concept – even while going from device to device, or place to place at any time, anywhere, people expect an instant response.
What would you add to my list? Please share, I would love to hear your thoughts.