This week I am away in Sydney and Melbourne, Australia leading learning in schools with students, teachers and their wider communities (see my speaking/workshop schedule here). So while I am away I have left the #whatisschool reins to Jena Ball and Sunny Thakral. This week we talk bullying, exploring the who, what and why of bullying.
This week join us at #whatisschool and continue to inspire one another.
Our chat times for around the world are:
- Thursday 4pm Pacific Time
- Thursday 6pm Central Time
- Thursday 7pm EDT
- Thursday 11pm GMT
- Friday 12am (Midnight) BST/IST
- Friday 7am Singapore/WA (Perth) Time
- Friday 10am AEDT
- Friday 12pm NZT
Questions #whatisschool, October 27, 2016 7PM EDT
1) It’s been said that bullying is the tip of a larger iceberg. Do you agree or disagree? Why?
2) Are there others – besides the bullies and the bullied – who contributes to the issue?
3) What are some of the challenges inherent in dealing with bullying?
4) Do you feel the measures being taken to stop bullying are effective? Why or why not?
5) What role do social-emotional skills play in prevention and intervention?
6) How can we encourage students to become effective peer leaders who discourage bullying by modeling empathy and kindness?
Challenge: Share some programs or projects that encourage a culture of mutual respect. Tolerance and appreciation for differences.