One week in to #whatisschool and I am more inspired than ever. I started back with students this week and I have been the most excited I have ever been in 10 years of teaching. Most of this is thanks to you. Thank you for inspiring me in last weeks chat and giving me the energy needed to make a difference.
This week we are discussing relationships on Thursday 22 January at 6pm EST (Friday 9am AEST, Friday 12pm NZT, 7am Singapore).
Every kid needs a champion – children learn better when they like their teacher!
Join the conversation on #whatisschool this Thursday January 22 at 6PM EST (Friday 9am AEST, 12pm NZT, 7am Singapore) as we discuss relationships and how you make it work in your educational environment.
Last week I as inspired by this TED Talk from Rita Pierson, a teacher for 40 years. She once heard a colleague say, “They don’t pay me to like the kids.” Her response: “Kids don’t learn from people they don’t like.’” This video has inspired this weeks discussion and is a rousing call to educators to believe in their students and actually connect with them on a real, human, personal level. Take a look and let it inspire you before we chat this week:
Make sure you put this weeks chat in your diary and if you are not already signed up to our ‘Remind’ notifications – click here. We will send you a FREE email or a FREE SMS just before our chat begins
Questions For #Whatisschool
Thursday January 22, 6PM EST
1) What does the word ‘relationship’ mean to you in your workplace?
2) Every kid needs a champion, what makes a relationship work?
3) “Kids don’t learn from people they don’t like”. What do you do to encourage positive relationships in your classroom?
4) How do you raise the self-esteem and academic ability of students at the same time?
5) How do you demonstrate passion and excitement to engage your students in learning? Give some examples.
6) Who are some of your most trusted and go to relationships?