Mr Kemp NZ

Why Classroom Wall Displays Matter

In the 21st century we are all very focussed on utilising digital technologies with our students as a tool to support learning. Don’t get me wrong, I am a huge advocate for technology in the classroom, and this article is not an anti-technology battle post. One of the thing that I have found recently when I have been in amazing digital schools is that often classroom wall displays are lacking, I found myself asking why ….

I believe it is because our focus is on digital learning tools and getting everything online. We don’t give time to consider the importance of a bright, exciting learning environment for students. Most work is produced, published and posted online (whereas, several years ago it was displayed on classroom walls).

My school is a digital school, we are 1:1 devices in Year 5-8, 1:2 in Year 3-4 and 1:3/4 in our Junior School, which is incredible, considering our journey – We have made a conscious effort this year to bring colour and passion to the walls that make up our school. We believe that a colourful and exciting learning environment encourages students to engage and learn. We have created exciting displays that make people want to engage in them and read / learn more. Here are some examples of our current displays in the Middle School

IMG_27941  IMG_27971 IMG_27981 IMG_27991 IMG_29931 IMG_29941

In order to engage students in a 21st Century Modern Learning Environment we need to consider sharing learning in the online world as well as in the physical space that our students learn in every day.

Bring some colour and passion to your learning environment. Don’t stop displaying and sharing work to the world, but remember the heart and soul of it all, the physical space of our little learners 🙂

About author View all posts Author website

Craig Kemp

Craig Kemp

I am a passionate Head of Educational Technology at a large International School in Singapore. I am a lifelong learner, dream creator and thought leader. I love to inspire others and find inspiration. Co-founder of #whatisschool, #asiaED edchats and #pubPD.

Have something to say?

13 CommentsLeave a comment

Warning: strlen() expects parameter 1 to be string, object given in /home/socialph/public_html/mrkempnz/wp-includes/formatting.php on line 3263
    Avatar Jenny Moore says:

My favourite classroom displays on a pinterest board, worth a look! Thank you Craig, love the new website. http://www.pinterest.com/tesResources/classroom-display-inspiration/

Avatar Donna Mace says:

It is great to read an article that advocates against sterile, dull classrooms. CC$$ demands seem to discourage teachers from creating learning environments that allow students to use their natural curiousity and want to explore topics of their own choosing. I want to have excited, engaged learners! Not just compliant students who simply attempt to learn what my curriculum guide tells me to teach daily.

Avatar Arthur Eaves says:

Thanks Craig! This is superb, I totally agree. Color and vibrancy in the classroom is so important.

Avatar @leonie_hastings says:

Great new blog. Very visual and vibrant. I also believe in bright learning focused wall displays, especially teaching 5 and 6 yr olds. I put their work up eg photos, comic life, and photos of their app learning as well as Art displays, solo taxonomy related to our Inquiry units, their photos and goals etc. Enjoyed the post and loved the wall displays.

Avatar John Sutton says:

I enjoyed reading David Didau’s post on classroom display: http://www.learningspy.co.uk/learning/whats-the-point-of-classroom-displays/ I also think that Simon McLoughlin’s series of posts on displays are well worth a read: http://simcloughlin.com/classroom-display-wallpaper-or-a-learning-resource-part-1/

Avatar Kobrecht says:

Lovely, lively use of vertical space, Craig! I totally agree that we must not forgo enticing displays in our physical spaces for online-only display venues. My question: do you bump up against any trouble with local fire safety codes? My school was recently inspected (and gigged) for having items suspended from the ceiling, displaying student work on classroom doors, and posting items on walls within 2 feet of the floor. Very disheartening for educators attempting to craft a welcoming, kid-friendly learning environment.

Craig Kemp Craig Kemp says:

Thank you for your comment. We have had no trouble with local fire safety codes. That is terrible to hear that these regulations are stopping the creation of the child-friendly learning environment that your learners deserve. Keep at it!

Avatar Lisa says:

I totally agree with you. Unfortunately, I am only allowed to have 20 percent of my walls covered and definitely nothing hanging from the ceilings per the fire department. Does anyone have any suggestions for decorating a room that can only have 20 percent of their walls covered?

Avatar customizeteeshirts says:

Thanks for a marvelous posting! I quite enjoyed reading it, you happen to be a great author.

I will make certain to bookmark your blog and will come back sometime soon. I want to
    encourage one to continue your great writing, have a nice afternoon!

Avatar CHRISTY FADIPE says:

Good job keep it up.

Avatar Helladic says:

Hi there, You have done a great job. I’ll definitely digg it and personally suggest to my friends.
    I am sure they will be benefited from this website.

Avatar Grant Lee says:

It is very important to gain the attention of the kids. An attractive room would make it more colorful and fun.