Mr Kemp NZ

My latest PBL success in Mathematics

After the overwhelming success of my last blog post about PBL (Problem Based Learning) in my Mathematics classroom, and the example of the board game creation, I thought I would continue to share my examples as I teach them.

The latest PBL activity I have been using with my Year 6 Mathematics classroom is based on the following elements of learning:

·         Multiplication of 2 digit numbers
·         Dividing 2 digit numbers
·         Addition, Subtraction and Multiplication of decimal numbers
·         Converting metric units of measurement
·         Area of composite rectangles
·         Using Scale

After learning about all of these topics, and developing a confident understanding of them all, the students were set a problem, based on designing a Safari Park.

The problem was: “The Safari Park board has asked you to help establish an animal friendly Safari park”. A five hectare wildlife reserve has been set aside for Hippos, Elephants, Lions, Tortoises and Giraffes.

Before starting off on the investigation, we ran Google Hangout sessions with 2 experts. One expert was an aunty of a student at school in Australia who works as a manager at Melbourne Zoo and the second expert was a designer who worked on the design and creation of Singapore Zoo’s new River Safari attraction. The students asked excellent questions and discovered a lot of relevant information that made this task ‘real’ and ‘relevant’. Some amazing discussions came about because of these global connections and got students thinking about things like, what would happen if the Elephant had a calf, or the safari park decided to introduce a new animal. The students decided that these elements had to be considered (i.e. leave free space / make enclosures larger than required).

The requirements of this task were to (included in the rubric I provided for them):
  • Submit a design for the safari park showing:
    • The total mass of the animals in each enclosure
    • The space allocated to each animal enclosure
    • How much food they receive each week
    • The amount of time the animal carers will spend with the animals during feeding time
  • Show all details on a map of the safari park to convince the ‘Safari Park board’ that the animals will be cared for humanely
  • Decide how many of each animal to include in the space provided and choose facilities and features and calculate the total area required (a list was given to the students that included the required details)
  • Create a daily feeding schedule (based on information provided)
  • Present map and feeding schedule and compare / discuss accuracy of calculations etc.

Students were not given any requirements on how to present their learning (as I do for most activities) so there was a variety of presentations, including some video’s, scratch games and minecraft ‘parks’.

Here are some example of the students creating, making and designing as part of their PBL investigation:

Here are some examples of final designs and information provided:

Another highly successful and engaging session of learning in my Year 6 Mathematics classroom. The students love to be engaged in real world learning activities. My next project is in development stages but will be based around probability, causes of bias and line graphs. I have some exciting things lined up for this, so watch this space.

About author View all posts Author website

Craig Kemp

Craig Kemp

I am a passionate Head of Educational Technology at a large International School in Singapore. I am a lifelong learner, dream creator and thought leader. I love to inspire others and find inspiration. Co-founder of #whatisschool, #asiaED edchats and #pubPD.

Have something to say?

9 CommentsLeave a comment

Warning: strlen() expects parameter 1 to be string, object given in /home/socialph/public_html/mrkempnz/wp-includes/formatting.php on line 3263
    Avatar Maureen Devlin says:

Great activity! I may try it. Thanks for sharing.

Avatar Marion says:

Practical, doable…must try. Thanks for the great idea.

Avatar Michelle says:

What a brilliant engaging study. The children would have learnt so much more than you could have imagined. The contact with the zoos would have opened their eyes immensely . Just brilliant !
    Michelle

Avatar Dingna says:

Good case study! I will try this out! will get back for more feedback! thanks Craig! BTW, your about me is so impressive!

Avatar Chris Smith says:

i did something similar with 3rd graders when talking about area and perimeter. Good stuff!

Avatar Faith says:

Hey Craig!! I loved your posts on this project and the game creation. Is there a way you can send me the rubrics you used for these projects? I would love to try them in my classroom. Faith.Plunkett@hsv-k12.org

Avatar Tracey says:

Wow! ! I’m inspired & excited to try these PBL activities with my 5th graders! Thanks for sharing!! Would love to see the rubrics you used. Thank you!!

Avatar Jason says:

Great activity to allow students to complete a collaborative, hands-on project that is something they can relate to real-world experiences.

Avatar Meagan says:

Oh this is awesome! I do something similar for area, perimeter, measurement etc but haven’t thought of using guest experts. Thanks Craig!