As a globally connected educator, I LOVE connecting, networking and engaging with my PLN (Personal/Professional Learning Network) on a daily basis through Twitter.
I wish I got connected to Twitter earlier on in my educational career (as it is the BEST form of FREE Professional Development I have ever found). Because of this, I love to share my passions behind using Twitter and how it makes me a better educator.
To create a globally connected PLN, I firmly believe engaging in the online world of Twitter is a must. To get started, follow these 10 easy steps:
1. Go to www.twitter.com and fill in your name, email address and password and Click “Sign up for Twitter.”
2. When prompted choose your username – think to yourself, how do I want to be seen as online to my Education network now and in the future. I am @mrkempnz (simple, but effective).
3. Click “Create my account”
4. Next, start following people that you look up to or admire. If you want to follow celebrities, be prepared for a lot of ‘rubbish’. Some suggestions for Education ‘celebrities’ that you should follow instead are:
5. Do some searching and click on the “FOLLOW” button beside anyone you want to connect with. Their tweets will appear in your feed (I will explain this more during our session at #ulearn14).
6. Once you are finished connecting, you need to ‘de-egg’. When you start twitter you get assigned your ‘egg’ as your profile picture. Let the world see who you are – upload a professional photograph, symbol, or cartoon of yourself. Click on the empty profile photo to upload an image of yourself.
7. Make sure you follow me @mrkempnz so I can support you along the way and help connect you with some amazing educators.
8. Edit your profile and add the important details about who you are and what you are passionate about by clicking on ‘Edit Profile‘ – this is what my profile says – it may help you craft your short bio:
9. Send out your first tweet by clicking on the blue box. Type your first tweet in less than 140 characters (maybe you can say something like: “Hey @mrkempnz I am on twitter and I can’t wait to learn more about how to use it at your #21CLHK workshop”). By including my @mrkempnz tag I will get a message telling me you are talking to me 🙂
10. Start exploring Twitter. Have a look around, wait for me to reply to you and start adding some people you might know. Let’s get connected!
Stay connected and see you soon 🙂