Mr Kemp NZ

Twitter Vs Paid Professional Development

Twitter – the 140 character Professional Development tool that has fallen onto my lap!
Last year I was introduced to Twitter by @annekenn and @msbeenz at an E-Teach programme I am involved with here in Dunedin. When I was first shown this tool I had heard of it but never gone any further as I had no idea of how I could use it to help me with my teaching. I use to think to myself why on Earth would I want to hear people use less than 140 characters to tell me what they are doing ….. WOW has this changed over the last 2 months.
Thanks to Twitter I am now more up to date with Education than ever before. I now get daily professional development from hundreds of educations best “tweeters” from all over the world. The best part of this …. it is FREE! My twitter account @MrKempNZ sat empty for many weeks until I plucked up the courage to post something. As soon as I started posting I realised that Twitter is the most powerful tool for a teacher to use for PD.
This reading by Jane Hart really helped me understand why I would want to use Twitter as a Professional Development tool.
Twitter is #1 on the Top 100 Tools for Learning list – something that really inspires me to follow inspirational people who help me to be a better educator.
Twitter as a professional development tool has helped me connect with like-minded learning professionals around the world and every day I learn a lot from them through the things that they “tweet” and through the links that they share. Staying in daily contact with these people, whose opinions that I value, is powerful to me as an educator.
My teaching has changed and I have used so many ideas (and shared these with my staff at school) from Twitter – I really do not know where I would be without it.
I logon to Twitter daily and wait with anticipation for the next “amazing tweet” that will change my teaching for the better.
David Dodgson’s blog post about Twitter and his efforts to educate others through twitter inspires me and is definitely worth a read.
Every day in my classroom I talk about collaboration and the importance of working together. It is funny to see myself as an educator in the classroom going home and practising what I preach. Twitter is the ultimate collaboration tool. My PLN (Personal Learning Network) on twitter are who I collaborate with on a daily basis. If I have a question or something I need I post on twitter and within minutes my questions are answered and I have found what I am looking for – twitter is a search engine, a networking tool, a professional development network at no cost and a tool for improving my teaching.
Twitter has been the BEST web 2.0 tool that I have found so far to help me improve the way I teach. If you are on twitter please share your contact information and if you are not it is time to join up – I would love to help you join up and create a powerful PLN. Make @MrKempNZ your first twitter follow 🙂

About author View all posts Author website

Craig Kemp

Craig Kemp

I am a passionate Head of Educational Technology at a large International School in Singapore. I am a lifelong learner, dream creator and thought leader. I love to inspire others and find inspiration. Co-founder of #whatisschool, #asiaED edchats and #pubPD.

Have something to say?

27 CommentsLeave a comment

Warning: strlen() expects parameter 1 to be string, object given in /home/socialph/public_html/mrkempnz/wp-includes/formatting.php on line 3263
    Avatar Emma says:

I agree! I have only been on Twitter for 2 weeks after using it for Professional Development at a National Aspiring Principals Programme. I had always thought it was a place for stalking celebrities but I am so pleased and surprised to be so wrong. I feel I have been brought back up to speed with many Education discussions not just relating to digital technologies. The brief tweets allow just enough info to decide ‘yes, want to look further into this’. However I did notice today while on my lunch break that our school server has twitter blocked, this may have to change!

Avatar ashleyazzopardi says:

Brilliant post, you said it very well. Well done. More educators need to spread the word about Twitter and blogging and the amazing benefits it can have.

I’d love for educators to follow me @ashleyazzopardi and take a look at my blog.

Avatar Craig Kemp says:

Definitely need to change that Emma!!!! Poor form 😛 I have downloaded the apple twitter app – sits on my dock and lights up when new tweets come in 😛

Avatar Pinelopi says:

I agree with you Graig, twitter is a great tool! I get updated on the topics I am interested in at no time (which is something that aggregators do as well), but the most important affordance of twitter is interaction between people. For teachers, being connected with other professionals can be really powerful. Of course there are dangers that I am sure that those of us who use twitter are already aware of…Check out this link, retweeted today by virtuallykaren – Social Media Cartoons http://bit.ly/aNdqIp

I would say that an advantage of twitter that PD cannot address that easily is personalized learning. We all have different needs and interests, teachers are often at different levels regarding their use of ICT in the classroom. Of course PD can give general guidelines and support, but each one of us can have customized support to this long learning journey! Now it’s twitter, tomorrow it will be something else…who knows?

Avatar Jo Fothergill says:

Great article Craig! Emma – I use tweetdeck at school – for some reason the apps work when the website won’t!

Avatar Jacqui Sharp says:

Well said Craig! Twitter is a must as part of a ‘Teacher’s Digital Toolkit’.

Avatar ginippi says:

Great post. I agree – I love twiter – my pyjama PD. I call it that as I can find and follow my interests in the middle of the night – or anytime. I get so much from my twitter PLN. Like Emma, I thought it was for celebrities and people sharing what they had for dinner. Since being introduced to twitter 18 months ago it has become my go to place. I love that I connect with teachers in areas (globally and curriculum). I love Tweetdeck too as I can orgnaise all my groups, follow hashtags I like. I enjoy engaging in professional conversations without having to have an hour of a speaker then a circle where we all introduce ourselves and state our goals for the day. 🙂

Avatar Unknown says:

Absolutely! I use twitter as a research tool and get so much out of it. I use Hootsuite to organise my streams so I can keep groups together. It’s amazing. Your tweets are always great Craig.

Avatar Claire says:

tee hee – I so hope that @mrsbee12 does not have me on a spam list. My twitter name is @msbeenz and has been since 2008. Twitter has been the most amazing link to an inspiring staffroom. It was a pleasure to get you and Anne both into the sphere 🙂

Avatar mrkempnz says:

Claire – I am sorry – I wonder where that came from – I blame it on Anne haha you are an inspiration to me – so thank you for all you do!

Avatar Carol says:

PD that is individualized, free, self-directed, and inspiring. What more can you ask for?

Avatar mrkempnz says:

I agree Carol – it is amazing – something new and FREE coming soon from me too so watch this space 🙂

Avatar J Bauer says:

Thanks Craig-great post! We can’t share too often or with too many people the benefits of Twitter as such a powerful tool! I love the idea of “pajama PD” someone shared earlier-ha!

Avatar Rob says:

Truer words never said.

Avatar Alan Thwaites says:

Twitter is like a 24/7 never ending conference with break-out rooms (hashtag discussions, blog posts etc.) It doesn’t replace other forms of PD, but creates an environment for networking that reminds me of the lunch break between conference sessions during which you have dialogue with colleagues and streghten and build new network connections.

Avatar Nathaniel Atherton says:

Agreed! Twitter is a massively important PD tool and I espouse it any chance I get. Even here in China we use it– its just too critical a tool not to use @nat_atherton

Avatar Zeina Chalich says:

Twitter is the place to be for all educators! It’s a place to share and celebrate eduwins. As a leader it keeps me in the loop with global education and the latest research. I love the collaborative nature of twitter – a range of experts in the field of education are only a tweet away, any time and any place! I rely so much on twitter for PD stimulus for my staff meetings and learning conversations. The highlight of my Sunday is the #aussieED chat 8:30 – 9:30pm AEST. A brilliant exchange of minds from teachers doing what they do best in the classrooms! Our Ss have connected through this chat and are also aware of how important it is for teachers to be connected with others in their learning! Come join the fun @ZeinaChalich

Avatar Alex Le Long says:

Loved this post Craig! Great comments too. Can I share your post in the workshop on Twitter I’m doing at the NZATE conference?

Avatar mrkempnz says:

Thank you for your reflective comments and feedback – Alex – you can absolutely use this – let me know if you need anything else – always happy to help.

Avatar Paul McGuire says:

Good to see this post shared so often on Twitter – this is the best indication of how powerful Twitter is as a way to really develop your PLN. Like you Craig, I am always looking for the next amazing idea. To think that there was a time when I didn’t use Twitter for professional development! Now it is essential.

Now if we could only convince the ‘powers’ to stop planning mind numbing PD and allow us to explore the great ideas out there!!

Avatar Sharon Cornwall says:

Finally viewing Twiiter daily, why the delay, seemed too easy, which is the benefit. Great blog and someday I will use HTML tags….

Avatar Jeny Potier says:

Engaging with other educators on twitter provides me with inspiration, and feeds my passion. Oth for teaching and for continuous learning. Thanks to my twitter PLN for making me better!

Avatar Shannon Doak says:

I also agree with you 100%. In fact I am currently working on my Doctorate in Educational Technology. I would like to gather data from teachers regarding how they make use of informal learning within their PLN, specifically an online PLN created through social media tools. As far as I can find there is little empirical data to back up our thoughts. I have found some studies but the pickings are slim. If you know of any articles regarding this subject please share.

Avatar read says:

I’m amazed, I must say. Rarely do I come across a
    blog that’s both equally educative and engaging, and let me tell you, you’ve
    hit the nail on the head. The issue is something that not enough people are speaking intelligently about.
    I am very happy I stumbled across this in my hunt for something
    concerning this.

Avatar check it out says:

You have brought up a very wonderful details, thanks for the
    post.

Avatar GilBVoorheis says:

It’s wonderful you are getting ideas using this post along with from your dialogue made at the place.