Mr Kemp NZ

Mathematics can be fun!

As ICT lead teacher at my school it is my job to ensure the staff are constantly being kept up to date with new technology, links, software etc.

We are very lucky here because we are one of the leading ICT schools in Dunedin. We have fantastic equipment and are now at the point where all of the staff are at a level where they are capable of using the technology we have available to ensure our student’s are given the best possible education.

Last term I ran my first ever Techie Brekkie – a early morning session where I supplied breakfast and ran a session with my staff on I-Can-Animate – an animation programme we had purchased for all of our computers. A lot of schools purchase the best things but never educate their staff on how to use them.

During this Techie Brekkie I shared several examples of how I use I-Can-Animate in the classroom and then let the staff Play (the most powerful learning experience of all). All of the staff left the session excited about the new piece of software and everyone had ideas on how to use it. The funny thing was that I left the session inspired too and changed my numeracy programme for the day to work in with my new learning.

Instead of teaching my Stage 6 group a new strategy for addition and subtraction I decided I would use I-Can-Animate to consolidate the strategy I knew they were struggling to understand. The new technique instantly sparked excitement in my classroom – not only did this show me that my student’s new the strategy but it showed me that new technology makes learning more exciting. It had a domino effect – all of the groups wanted to use the software to help them learn and all groups started producing new movies of their strategy learning. We then posted them on our class wikispace and on you tube where other teachers started viewing and commenting. The student’s were so excited that they started sharing their numeracy learning at home with their parents. Not only had this been successful but I had created something out of nothing ….. 1 small idea has developed into a stream of learning. Our syndicate is now creating a learning website – http://nznumeracy.wikispaces.com/ to help student’s, teacher’s and parent’s all over the world learn and understand how to use new math strategies.

Here are some of the video’s that my student’s created last term:

During group numeracy sessions I have seen a huge development in strategy knowledge since we started posting our videos. I am excited to see how we can continue this development this term when we learn about Multiplication and Division.

I am interested in hearing your thoughts and feedback about this and what you have done to help inspire and encourage your student’s to have fun with Mathematics …..

About author View all posts Author website

Craig Kemp

Craig Kemp

I am a passionate Head of Educational Technology at a large International School in Singapore. I am a lifelong learner, dream creator and thought leader. I love to inspire others and find inspiration. Co-founder of #whatisschool, #asiaED edchats and #pubPD.

Have something to say?

7 CommentsLeave a comment

Warning: strlen() expects parameter 1 to be string, object given in /home/socialph/public_html/mrkempnz/wp-includes/formatting.php on line 3263
    Avatar Mrs C says:

Love it! I too was up skilling myself with a tool that I knew would be powerful and found it being perfect to excite mathematics. I have got my children to visualise the maths strategy that they were using to really get a grip on it and this lead me to post their poster on to a voicethread and get their comments. http://superb7voicethreads.wikispaces.com/Numeracy. Loved looking at your movies and think that will be a focus this term as he also head into mult/div. Don’t have ianimate although did a session on it a few years ago. Look forward to more exciting ideas.

Avatar Craig Kemp says:

Thanks 🙂 They are great – stay tuned on our wiki http://weareroom1.wikispaces.com (class wiki) and our syndicate numeracy wiki where we upload some more for you to use – http://nznumeracy.wikispaces.com
    Stay in touch and spread the word about this space.

Avatar ashleyazzopardi says:

You are doing a fantastic job, more teachers need to follow your lead! Inspiring and encouraging teachers to try new things and become excited about teaching is a brilliant thing, as well as encouraging and inspiring your students. Thank you for sharing.

Avatar Craig Kemp says:

Thank you so much 🙂 Look forward to having your feedback on all my blog posts – sign up so you don’t miss out 🙂 Check out my class wiki – the kids would love feedback – http://weareroom1.wikispaces.com

Avatar Anonymous says:

You have an excellent blog Craig. I, too, is an ICT enthusiast. I have a blog called Mathematics and Multimedia (http://mathandmultimedia.com), where I integrate ICT with math. Another is School of Freebies (http://freebieschool.com), where I share free software, Web 2.0 tools and tips on how to use them. I hope I could work with you in the future.

Avatar Guillermo Bautista says:

Avatar Craig Kemp says:

Thank you so much – I most certainly will be in touch – add me on twitter – @mrkempnz – let’s skype sometime soon!!!