This week #whatisschool will take a look at second language acquisition, world languages instruction and ways schools can efficiently develop bilingual and multilingual learners. We are lucky to have Alberto Peris, an IB Spanish Language Educator at my school in Singapore. Alberto is a champion when it comes to integrating technology into the curriculum and it is an absolute pleasure and honor to have him leading the chat with me this week.
Remember that our chat times for around the world are: (updated 27 August 2018)
- Thursday 4pm Pacific Time
- Thursday 6pm Central Time
- Thursday 7pm ET
- Thursday 11pm GMT
- Friday 12am CET
- Friday 7am Singapore/Manila/WA (Perth)
- Friday 9am AEST
- Friday 11am NZT
Questions #whatisschool, August 30, 2018 7PM ET
1) Did you study a second language at school? Did you succeed? Share a good memory from your own language learning experience.
2) What is the best way to learn a second language? What age should you begin? Which skills should be more developed?
3) In which ways do you consider that bilingualism and/or multilingualism can affect our brain and learning skills?
4) What opportunities does bilingualism and/or multilingualism have to offer?
5) What consequences could a lack of second language learning in our globalized society have?
6) Let’s finish off by sharing our favorite language educators, programs or apps and help build a positive language learning community.