#whatisschool is back for our last week before Christmas break (we will take next week off and be back on Thursday 4 January for a NEW YEAR special). This week I am joined by the inspirational Jen Williams. Come and join us!
Educators connecting and collaborating in online learning spaces are part of a participatory learning movement that is propelling our profession of education forward. As teaching and learning continue to change and shift in powerful ways, many educators are starting to find a disconnect between their work and the public perception of what it means to be a teacher today.
Join us for #whatisschool as we create a space to explore ways teachers in schools around the world are pushing the definition of “teacher” beyond a “single story.” Before we look to jump into public perceptions, we will begin by considering reasons we all entered into this field. Then, we will explore ideas on how we’d imagine non-educators would define the role of “teacher.” From there, we will take a deep dive into the why–what experiences, biases, and interactions with media are shaping the general perception of what it means to be an educator? With an understanding of how society defines our profession, we’ll head into our reality. As a teacher, what of the many roles we play each day are defining for you? Not just a “person in front of a room of children,” what are the remarkable feats you make happen each day–and, how might we extend public perception so there is a clear understanding of those feats? As we head out, let’s celebrate each other by following all chat participants and sharing on ways we plan to RECHARGE our teacher batteries as we head into this mid-point of the school year! Come share YOUR teacher story–saving a seat for you at this week’s #whatisschool chat!
Remember that our chat times for around the world are: (updated 12 December 2017)
- Thursday 3pm Pacific Time
- Thursday 5pm Central Time
- Thursday 6pm ET
- Thursday 11pm GMT
- Friday 12am CET
- Friday 7am Singapore/Manila/WA (Perth)
- Friday 10am AEDT
- Friday 12pm NZT
Questions #whatisschool, December 21, 2017 6PM EDT
1) What were the reasons you entered the field of education?
2) If you were to survey non-educators, what do you feel the common definition of “teacher” would be?
3) What experiences, biases, & interactions with media do you believe shape the general perception of what it means to be an educator?
4) Roles reimagined. I am a teacher. I am a ___________. Each day I am able to __________.
5) How might we begin to extend public perceptions of our profession & share all the incredible greatness of what it means to be a teacher in our world today?
6) For Fun: As we approach this mid-point in the school year, what are ways you plan to RECHARGE your “teacher battery?”