This week I am joined by one of the biggest names in Education Leadership – Eric Sheninger and we will be leading a discussion on Creating Schools that work for kids. Join us for what could be one of the biggest #whatisschool chats to date.
Eric is a Senior Fellow and Thought Leader on Digital Leadership with the International Center for Leadership in Education (ICLE). Prior to this he was the award-winning Principal at New Milford High School. Under his leadership his school became a globally recognized model for innovative practices. Eric oversaw the successful implementation of several sustainable change initiatives that radically transformed the learning culture at his school while increasing achievement. Learn more about Eric at ericsheninger.com
Eric also has an incredible new book coming out this fall, Uncommon Learning: Creating Schools That Work for Kids – check it out! I can’t wait to get my copy!
Schools have traditionally been designed to work well for adults, but the conventional school design hasn’t always served our learners. Students today need to be empowered to take ownership of their learning in relevant and meaningful ways to prepare them for a constantly evolving world. It is imperative to cultivate shared ownership, respect, and trust, creating a school learning culture that students value and to which they want to belong in the digital age. These cultures focus on the purposeful integration of technology, embracing mobile devices, a redefinition of learning spaces, personalized learning, and the whole child.
In this week’s #whatisschool chat, we will be seeking your engagement to discuss how we can make schools work better for kids.
Our chat times for around the world are:
- Thursday 4pm Pacific Time
- Thursday 6pm Central Time
- Thursday 7pm EDT
- Thursday 11pm GMT
- Friday 7am Singapore/WA (Perth) Time
- Friday 9am AEST
- Friday 11am NZT
Make sure you put this week’s chat in your diary and if you are not already signed up to our ‘Remind’ notifications – click here. We will send you a FREE email or a FREE SMS just before our chat begins
Questions #whatisschool, September 10, 2015 7PM EDT
1) Why do most schools work better for adults than the students & what must be done to change this?
2) How do you effectively engage digital learners in the content and process of learning?
3) Why implement mobile devices in schools?
4) How do classroom and school design impact student learning? What factors should be considered?
5) What is the significance of personalized learning? How can it be implemented for impact?
6) How do we shift schools & educators from a focus on student grades to learning?