Mr Kemp NZ

Spy of the week

I am a very positive person and a positive educator. I believe in being a positive influence in the lives of everyone that I come into contact with.

An exciting initiative that I have been involved in as part of a school wide Positive Education program is ‘spy of the week’.

spy_sneak

A teacher every week was assigned this exciting role! Their job was to secretly look for other staff doing amazing things around the school.

The teacher purchases a small gift (less then $10) and then at the staff meeting on Friday the teacher revealed their pick and gave reasons why they were chosen, highlighting the amazing things they noticed, and then they presented them with a small gift.

The principal was in charge of letting the new teacher know they are the ‘spy’ for the week every Monday morning. The best thing about this is that nobody knows who the ‘spy’ is so that the amazing things that are spotted are real and not forced.

Some examples of these ‘amazing’ things include:

• an amazing lesson observed or heard about
  • students talking about what they are learning
  • art work that was seen in a corridor
  • the way a teacher dealt with an irate parent or difficult child
  • teachers going above and beyond the call of duty by coaching a sports team

The list goes on …..

It is powerful, fun and rewarding!

Receiving positive feedback from colleagues develops a trust culture and a culture of happiness. The benefits gained in my small school were obvious and rewarding and a clear difference was made.

I highly encourage you to give this initiative a go in the new year at your school and post your response here and on twitter!

Have an amazing break and I look forward to hearing your positive responses soon.

About author View all posts Author website

Craig Kemp

Craig Kemp

I am a passionate Head of Educational Technology at a large International School in Singapore. I am a lifelong learner, dream creator and thought leader. I love to inspire others and find inspiration. Co-founder of #whatisschool, #asiaED edchats and #pubPD.

Have something to say?

8 CommentsLeave a comment

Warning: strlen() expects parameter 1 to be string, object given in /home/socialph/public_html/mrkempnz/wp-includes/formatting.php on line 3263
    Avatar Cora Tighe says:

Enjoying your posts! All the way from Ireland! TY, Cora.

Avatar Peter Cameron says:

Hey Craig,
    I love your idea! Would work great with students too. Reminds me of one of my all time favourite activities that I do with my students; Compliment Booklets https://mrcssharesease.wordpress.com/compliment-booklets/ Thanks for sharing!
    Cheers,
    Peter

Avatar Annamay Ferguson says:

i LOVE THIS IDEA AND WILL SURELY USE IT.

Avatar Eric Bentley says:

I liked your idea and shared it with our building principal.
    Thank you for taking the time to share with me and our global colleagues.

Eric Bentley
    Perry, Michigan, USA

Craig Kemp Craig Kemp says:

Thank you Eric – let me know how I can help in the future – stay connected
      Craig

Avatar Sarah says:

I saw this and shared with my school, as I feel our staff morale could do with a boost. My co-ordinator loves it and has asked me to present the idea to the staff tomorrow, and start it off. Thank you!

Sarah, Dubai.

Craig Kemp Craig Kemp says:

Thanks Sarah – let me know how you get on

Avatar Paula Lee Bright says:

I love your idea! It makes me long for my days in public school, with lots of colleagues to learn from. Now I’m retired and teaching struggling readers online. I love it, but so miss those get-togethers where we all felt refreshed and ready to proceed with new gusto and lots of ideas!

Thanks for the happy memories your post brought up. 🙂